打印

俄亥俄州立大学博士论文

俄亥俄州立大学博士论文

You, Ziying:Competing Traditions: Village Temple Rivalries, Social Actors, and Contested Narratives in Contemporary China

Abstract
This dissertation treats how tradition has been deconstructed, reconstructed, contradicted, negotiated, and practiced by competing and shifting actors after 1949, as both a cultural construct and a tool of power struggle in contemporary China. Instead of investigating the general usage and intellectual construction of the term "tradition," I focus on how rural people in northern China conceptualize and practice local traditions in both rituals and daily lives. The dissertation is based on six months of recent fieldwork (2012 and 2013), and site visits that began in 2007. My ethnographic case study observes living beliefs and vernacular representations of the ancient Chinese sage kings Yao and Shun, as well as Yao's two daughters (and Shun's two wives) Ehuang and Nuying, in several villages in Hongdong County, Shanxi Province. I explore how various local actors construct Chinese pre-history and worship mythical figures as their ancestors in both discourse and practice, and how they compete and negotiate with each other in transmitting and reproducing local traditions. In particular, I highlight the role of contemporary "folk literati" in the process of continuing and representing local traditions, especially during politically disastrous periods. I employ the term "folk literati" to describe a group of people who were trained in classical Chinese literature, knowledgeable about local history, legends, and beliefs, and are capable of representing them in writing. Furthermore, I analyze contentious relationships among folk literati and shifting power balances between the key folk groups that sponsor local temple fairs and ritual processions (she), temple reconstruction associations, and the state in the promotion and safeguarding of local traditions as China's Intangible Cultural Heritage in the late 2000s. I combine ethnography with history in my research, for history is crucial to the communities that I study, and it also makes my ethnographic observations in the present more meaningful. In conclusion, I make a proposal about the dialectics of tradition-making in contemporary China, the contested cohesion of local beliefs, the competing agency of different social actors in remaking local traditions, and the interpretation of tradition as a process of appreciation and "tradition ecology."

Year and Degree
2015, Doctor of Philosophy, Ohio State University, East Asian Languages and Literatures.

Subject Headings
Folklore; Foreign Language; Religion

Keywords
Tradition, folklore, agency, social actors, contested narrative, Intangible Cultural Heritage, folk beliefs

全文下载链接【作者授权在2020年5月以后开放下载】:
http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=osu1428961222

[ 本帖最后由 南池子 于 2015-10-31 13:47 编辑 ]

Levi Samuel Gibbs:Song King

Song King:Tradition, Social Change, and the Contemporary Art of a Northern Shaanxi Folksinger

Year and Degree
2013, Doctor of Philosophy, Ohio State University, East Asian Languages and Literatures.

Abstract
This dissertation explores the life and songs of the “Folksong King of Western China,” Wang Xiangrong, looking at how both elements are intricately tied to social changes in China during the last few decades. Building on extensive fieldwork and interviews with Wang and other folksingers from northern Shaanxi province, it shows how a “traditional” art form has interacted with and been affected by economic development, new media forms, government policies, commercialization of art, TV singing contests, and the rise of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) preservation. At the same time, it gives voice to an individual’s interpretation of that tradition (an individual who has been declared one of two “national bearers” of ICH for this tradition), thus personalizing the tradition within its broader social and historical context. By fusing together both performer-centered and tradition-centered approaches to oral literature, the songs and the speeches surrounding them are shown as serving to negotiate relations with real people, imagined characters, and gods from the past, present, and future.

Committee
Mark Bender (Advisor)
Meow Hui Goh (Committee Member)
Kirk Denton (Committee Member)
Ray Cashman (Committee Member)

Pages:356 p.

Subject Headings
Asian Literature; Asian Studies; Biographies; Cultural Resources Management; Folklore; Music; Performing Arts

Keywords
Wang Xiangrong; folksinger; folksong; China; northern Shaanxi; celebrity; life story; social change; drinking songs; songs; folk belief; relationship management; A Bao; He Yutang; lyric song; individual; tradition; culture market; song contest

全文下载链接:
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/ap/10?0 ... _NUM:osu1371429829

[ 本帖最后由 南池子 于 2015-10-31 13:47 编辑 ]

Peace Bakwon Lee:Contested Stories: Constructing Chaoxianzu Identity

Abstract:
The Chaoxianzu (Joseonjok or Chosonjok in Korean) are an ethnic minority group associated with the Yanbian Chaoxianzu Autonomous Prefecture in northeast China. As a part of Korea's historically displaced people - the Korean diaspora - the Chaoxianzu have evolved an identity that is tagged with the term "contested," as their historical narratives, the history of their autonomous prefecture and other areas in northeast China, and their identity as "Koreans" all feature contested complexities, controversies and multiplicities. This dissertation explores the construction of the Chaoxianzu's contested ethnic identity, as reflected primarily in Chaoxianzu oral traditions, and in part through early 20th century Manchuria Chaoxian writers and contemporary Chaoxianzu return migration literature.

This dissertation examines the construction of Chaoxianzu identity through personal narratives, songs, and stories collected during fieldwork conducted from 2000 to 2004. This collected material has been transcribed and translated into English, and is presented as examples of constructed Chaoxianzu identity as both ethno-culturally Korean and ethno-nationally Chinese. In Chapter 1, the contested historical and territorial narratives of Chaoxianzu and the early Chaoxian migrants in Manchuria are discussed to provide a contextual background for understanding the formation of the Chaoxianzu Korean ethnic minority group in China. This chapter also includes selected Chaoxianzu literary works on return migration to South Korea. Chapter 2 presents translated transcripts of a Chaoxianzu storyteller's personal narrative and one of his favorite stories that establish a basis for discussing the definition of what constitutes a Chaoxianzu story and Chaoxianzu identity. Chapter 3 presents an oral history of Chaoxianzu oral tradition collection projects, as told by a Chaoxianzu folklorist who participated in pre- and post-Cultural Revolution period collection and preservation efforts. Chapter 4 presents a translated transcript of a storytelling performance and the interactions between a prominent Chaoxianzu scholar and a Chaoxianzu storyteller in 2001. This storytelling session, along with the conversations between the parties, illustrates the story selection processes used in constructing Chaoxianzu Korean ethnicity. Chapter 5 explores Chaoxianzu oral tradition and the early Manchuria Chaoxian people's written literary tradition to address the problems of preserving ethnicity through selective processes.

Based on my research, it is clear that the ethnic category "Chaoxianzu" has been strongly influenced by the historic and geopolitical conditions in which the early displaced Chaoxian people of China (and later the Chaoxianzu) had to carefully negotiate between their ethnicity and polity. The return migration of Chaoxianzu to their ancestral land has created Chaoxianzu "Korean dream" experience stories, and their experience as the "Korean Others" triggered the re-examination of the hyphened identity of Chaoxianzu as Korean-Chinese.

Committee
Mark Bender, PhD (Advisor)
Kirk Denton, PhD (Committee Member)
Dorothy Noyes, PhD (Committee Member)
Chan Park-Miller, PhD (Committee Member)

Subject Headings
Asian Literature; Asian Studies; Cultural Anthropology; Ethnic Studies; Folklore; Literature; Minority and Ethnic Groups; Regional Studies

Keywords
Joseonjok; Chosonjok; Manchuria; Chaoxianzu; Korean Chinese; Chaoxian; Ethnic Identity; Oral Traditions; Chinese Ethnic Minorities; Folklore; Storytelling; Fieldwork; Yanbian; China; Korea; Ethnography;

全文下载【作者授权在2016年12月以后开放下载】:
http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=osu1316229935

[ 本帖最后由 南池子 于 2015-10-31 13:45 编辑 ]

Ray Cashman也是Ohio State University做Folklore Study的,他在2009年出版了一本关于故事讲述的著作Storytelling on the Northern Irish Border:Characters and Community

详细资料见:http://www.chinesefolklore.org.c ... e%3D1&frombbs=1

[ 本帖最后由 南池子 于 2015-10-31 13:59 编辑 ]
大王派我来巡山啰~~~~~